Pages

Wednesday 26 February 2020

The breeze and the book are my shelter

The breeze and the book are my shelter
I may even ask them to join me in the garden
Although the breeze may already be there

The book is Derek Jarman’s Modern Nature
A title gifted to him by Maggi Hambling
It is based around his cottage at Dungeness

My shelter though is creaking
For I am being asked
To undertake household chores
Which I never imagined would happen

I don’t know that I ever
Read one book properly
Not in any way that I now remember

I say this as I search for Lotus Leaves
By Thich Nhat Hahn
Whose name I never could spell either

There is a tiredness in my mind
My favourite picture is in shadow
I have completed another book of words

All over the bookshelves there are memories
Waiting for the breeze
To blow their titles into the gardens

What if I never find
The meditation teacher’s handbook
Or don’t ever shake myself
Free of this malaise

I have many pencils with pencil marks to make
Yet I have so few words to say
Not which could be strung together

To make anything worthwhile
Other than the jingles
Of the breeze and the book shelter