Pages

Saturday 15 February 2020

I came to Kettle’s Yard

I came to Kettle’s Yard
Looking for a shelter
A shelter for dreaming

I found a basket of pebbles
Which was a pretty good start

Then a long tabletop of oak
Supposedly from a slave ship
Or so the story goes

But it is nature
Which truly does it
Such is the seeing of the vase of flowers
On the window ledge by the bathroom

Followed by the shelves
Of collected potted plants
Named as the Land’s Shadows
Or Drifting Trawl Ring Seine

I kick the pebbles
Which sit on the floor
Beside a big slice of tree trunk

I don’t mean to cause a disturbance
But I am excited by the Gaudier-Brzeska

My eye then settles on the fish fossil
In a piece of stone, atop the long shelf
Which divides the large open space

It could be stone
From my childhood river bed
For it appears to be
Not unlike Yorkshire Stone

This then is the dream
In this peaceful place
In this exceptional
Shelter for dreaming