Pages

Tuesday 18 February 2020

I have moved

I have moved
From the seat with a dedication
To a bench not yet with a name

I have asked myself
What right do I have to say
That this whole place
Has been stolen from Yorkshire

Just as St Ives
Flattered our own Barbara Hepworth
With its bright Atlantic light

Schoolchildren and pensioners
Of which I am one or the other
Make up today’s
Spread out attendance

I too then a trespasser
Having found my shelter earlier
In the grounds of Orchard Cafe

There, or nearby, to see
A cast of Rupert Brooke
Also his good looking portrait
Hung on the wall in the tea rooms

All is very well here in these grounds
But it is a respite, or a swift retreat
Rather than truly being my shelter

I may visit again, to study in the archives
There to sit, to dwell calmly
And let the perceived truth
Erase my, wilder, first impressions