Pages

Sunday 9 February 2020

I Heard Yesterday

I heard yesterday
That a friend of mine is seriously ill
He has been referred to a charitable hospice

I donated a small amount
A very small amount I’m afraid
But now I know more of his condition

Will he find his place of shelter
Should I visit him in his shelter
If so for what; surely not to write poetry

I have been transitory in his life
He has closer friends
He has a loving caring and devoted family

I did read his poetry this morning
I wrote to him to say how I remembered
His rehearsal for his spoken words

We were no more than a dozen
In an upstairs room
Belonging to the Victoria Inn in Lincoln

We read words, we wrote words
We shared a camaraderie
Which continues there to this day

I have not been for several years
But follow the group on social media
A physical shelter has become a cyber shelter

I do have friends who are religious
Though my friend of today was not that
Instead he found shelter in doing

He found shelter in being
Being playful, being mischievous,
Being adventurous

I hope that his new shelter
Serves some of these purposes
And prolongs his perspicacity