Pages

Friday 6 March 2020

Today the beach bar is my shelter

Today the beach bar is my shelter
Only sand and sea
Between me and the horizon
Where sunlight shimmers
On the surface of the Aegean

A breeze on my knees
Sufficient
For me to take off my hat
Whilst looking at the decorative fishnet
Which adorns the curved stone wall
Beside and behind me

The divers
Receive their diving instructions
Exactly correct says the instructor
As one student responds
To his purpose of oxygen enquiry

Shade is the big thing
In this endless sunshine environment
So thanks to the umbrellas
In sky blue cotton and bamboo
Which are placed ever so strategically

The tiny sparrows
Hop on sand and pebble
The, dressed in white, waiters
Carry drinks on a tray
To the mid-morning sunbathers

The instructor, who is still talking
Says they will be in the water by twelve
So still three-quarters of an hour away
Before my beachside shelter settles
Before my coffee-bar shelter quietens