Pages

Saturday 14 March 2020

This afternoon I am due

This afternoon I am due
At the hospital
For physiotherapy
To heal my sciatica

For several weeks
Sciatica has been my shelter
Not by choice you understand
Though for sure it was within me

This is my second appointment
With John
Who works for the NHS
He impressed me on my first visit

He asks if I know
When or how the pain started
I really didn’t know this time
But last time was after a massage

Which was a bit of a ha-ha
Moment for John
Apparently, if you are not well supported
During massage the nerves can be trapped

The first time I had sciatica
The doctor blamed it on DIY
As he did also
For my tennis elbow, and my frozen shoulder

I have cut back on the DIY
My partner doesn’t let me do hardly any
Which is a bit of a nuisance
For a man supposedly creating shelters

So I turn to sciatica
As both poem and shelter
Already wondering if the next one
Might be Ibuprofen or Paracetamol