Pages

Friday 19 April 2024

Wasted Place, Sometime

Somewhere on the M5

Around Taunton way I’d say

The morning after nothing had happened


The blue, clear blue sky

Matched the mood of release

Relief from those scattered sheets


That dripping tap

Shrinking threads and wasting washers


Now I remember

Before Bristol for sure, the afternoon before

The night when nothing happened


The grey sea mist from the estuary

Matched the mood of doubt, unknown quarry

Set up for the fall, recall the previous dishes.


That silken strap

Silken threads and tummy squashes


Now I remember

Down among the Chilterns

The evening, the actual evening, the non event


If it meant anything, It meant nothing to me

The wind drifted, the rainbow lifted

Lifted on moor and gorse


No recourse, no negotiation, a stated situation

Inclined by inclination I’m listening to Bukowski

You’re watching television, you’re watching TV


Now I remember

Some place obscure

Wasted time for sure


Sex, whore, wife, life

How would it feel to think your wife a whore

Lore would life suffice such a trice


Would the expectation stride in tight

At the fleeting sight

Of the translucent gossamer light