Pages

Friday 12 April 2024

Escaping Away

It has been a busy day

I have escaped a long long way

Early on I was talking to Mr. Masefield

Resplendent in his business black suit


The cut was neat, lined with finest silk

The hair was brave, not a Locke did misbehave

He was with Elisabeth, is it Mrs. Stanhope Forbes

By the edge of the woods, turkey crop and scythe


They were wondering at the Moonlit View 

Of Mr. Francis Darby’s Eastern city

As they dared to forsake, partake

In Mr. Geoffrey Hill’s grinning cake


In the background, surround sound all around

Beside you, sang Mr Van Morrison, oh Astral Weeks

It has been a very busy day

I have escaped ever such a long long way


Journeyed almost as far as Camilla

Who married again, this day, today

I did not go to the service

I spilt my tears among the radio congregation


Tears of joy and there but for the grace of god go I

Or is it the North Wind

Blowing alongside the dust ball, to the canal basin

That which I am to engage with, in regeneration


A long term plan, you say

I retort, as if Capability Brown ever saw

His landscapes as anything more than nature

In full sway, in full public awe


Here in Weston Park, under the mid-day

Noon time dark

Clouds, clouds with Eastern rain

And Southern comfort


It has, as I say, been a long long day

I’ve escaped, escaped in a very busy way

Before meeting Mr Masefield

I’d scribed a few words of my own


Memories of yesterday’s funeral

Polish youth, in Polish dress, the Pope was thus blest

Memories of yesterday’s other funeral

The receivers set the works to rest


Oh and lest I forget

I’d imagined and spoken, words under my breath

I’d spoken, under my breath

Another day, escaping death


It has been such a long day

Escaping in many a different way

Unlike the child dying in St. James Hospital

By the Poet’s hand in the library compilation


‘Out of Fashion’ I recall the cover rolled

Although I did not study the small print

I did though take the flyer

To hire a china dragon, a dragon blowing fire


And I bought some books, go on, take a look

Yes it is John Stammer’s ‘Stolen Love Behaviours’

And Jackie Kay’s Life Mask, although I thought

The cover was an Eduardo Palozzi creation, it was in fact clay


And finally Scenes from Comus by Geoffrey Hill

Ticked by the Archbishop of Canterbury no less

It has been, as once again I say

It has been a long day


It is not yet noon, although it will be evening soon

Beneath the midnight of the moonlit moon

Except that today, yes today of all days

Today I am escaping away