Pages

Sunday 27 June 2021

Speculate

Today I leave the abbey
But first to read, and quote
A few words from Jung

… the waves from the steamer
washed up to the shore, the
sun glistened on the water, and the
sand under the water had been
curved into little ridges by the waves
… this expanse of water was
inconceivable pleasure to me,
an incomparable splendour - at
the time the idea became fixed
in my mind that I must live near
a lake; without water I thought
nobody could live at all

Jung was between seven
And nine years old
When these thoughts arose

I am almost ten times that age
And yet have not totally found
That place of water, or of meadow, or of calm

So I carry on searching
I return to our nice, spacious, comfortable house
In the heart of the picturesque Lincolnshire Wolds

Where I sit in the lounge
Listen to Max Richter music
And realise how lucky I am