Pages

Wednesday 16 June 2021

First Steps (And All That)

I walked up the path
To the gate (five bars and all that)
Like all new tracks, or pathways new to me
It took me from a familiar place
To a more foreign escarpment

That I felt happy to settle there
Sufficient to draft a letter
Says something I do believe
About my mood, my insight for nature
Before I began the steady climb

I was prepared for a positive outcome
Hopefully my letter explored this
Although I may have been distracted
When you entered into the writing
As often happens on sunny afternoons

How not to have one's head turned
Returning, to land over sea
Before the slow, peaceful descent
Onto the island’s airstrip
Where the wheels touched down

I walked through arrivals
To the gate (full inspection and all that)
Like all new entrances, or passages new to me
It took me from a familiar place
Into the ways of a more beautiful life