Pages

Monday 6 February 2023

Provisions

The pieces of cold dry toast

Leftovers

From this morning’s Writer’s Cafe


Remind me

Of the Swedish crisp-breads

We bought in the Red House Supermarket


Today my topping is Aldi’s Cheese spread

With Honey-Roasted Salmon flakes

The whole thing taken with a pot of tea


Back in the day, long before 2004

We would have had Port Salut cheese

Perhaps with a bottle of Muscadet


Yet the real joy was in the shopping

To walk hand in hand, down the aisles

Excitedly making our Friday teatime choices


At the end of it all we lived in a small village

It had a petrol station, a Co-op, a general store

The owners of which also delivered newspapers


I would often buy a pie or a pastie there

On my way to work, I might even say

Good morning, to your friend, with a warm smile


I don’t believe that she ever, not purposefully

Came between us, though I thought you

Might have sought-after her freedom for life