Pages

Wednesday 22 February 2023

Confectionary

I would not expect you to sympathise

Because the butter won’t spread on the scone

After all they are delicious; fresh, warm scones

Almost straight out of the oven


The butter is also fresh, that is

To say it is not soft, nor curdled

It too is straight from its place of keeping

Where it clearly is kept in good shape


I would not expect you to place much store

In my story of the scone, or the butter

Neither the jam, not forgetting the filter coffee

For here they do not do Americano


Nor for you to know that I was on my way

To reflexology, for an hour of calm

As I have my feet scrubbed, massaged

Altogether pampered


I could not tell you, until now

That I would have a small fan

In the treatment room, which gave

A cool breeze, in this the heat of summer