Pages

Sunday 26 February 2023

Assemble

The meditation did not bring me here

I came of an altogether different accord

It was in a way a choice-less choice

Yet I was the one who made that choice, wilfully

With no one else in mind


Compassion then only for oneself

How else might that be

The storms are over

The days, the nights of rolling thunder have died down

The hours, the hours of sheet and fork lightning are over


There is a calmness abroad

Yes, it may well be superficial

If I should explore the surface I may well disturb it

That place, that stillness, that tranquility

Which this early morning gifts to me


Where I am able to think back

To reinvent, to recreate your kitchen table scene

Even earlier in the morning, before light breaks

Moments when I imagine you would sit

To catch your thoughts, in a letter which you send to me