Pages

Saturday 15 August 2020

Rogue Or No

I have adopted words from the canon of religion

Into the peace of my non-religious world

Faith, and grace, and prayer, and love

Are to be found liberally scattered


Just as the vegetarian chooses to name her food

Burger, sausage roll, chicken on a stick

Then I choose to name my non-religious thoughts

In the existence of writing man, or of religious man


Today I sent a photograph to my youngest son

And his girlfriend; also to my grandchildren

I used the words Happy Easter without qualm

Or fear, of any kind of time-based retribution


For it is not up to me, nor you either

To determine whether  others should be starved

Of the beautiful words from the past of religion

With its immense breadth and depth of storytelling


I have no objection to the cathedrals

Or the icons, or the rituals; indeed

I have attended and I have been moved

By the humanity shared in the gatherings


My difficulty arrives when the words are turned

Into instructions, often with violence adopted

As a way to ensure that the followers are kept

On pathways, determined by heaven knows who


Available at Amazon

Christopher's Website
for his Collected Works