Pages

Thursday 20 August 2020

Honesty

I kill an ant

and realize my three children

were watching


Shuson Kato

------------------------------------------

Honestly

I do understand the need to kill

Even if upset is caused


I myself have a distant feeling of hurt

When, as a child

I witnessed kittens being drowned


Yet I thought nothing

Of trampling underfoot

Whatever lay on the forest floor


I could claim innocence or naivety

But I won't do that

For I know it not to be entirely honest


Because, in my early teenage years

I worked, actively participating

In a slaughterhouse


Should I have told you that

Or remained silent about my past

In which case where would lie the continuum line


Honestly, the children have all grown

Each retaining their own perspective, which

I hope they realise, I am, and have been watching