Pages

Sunday 2 June 2024

No late night conversation

I don’t know what your idea of friendship means

I don’t know if being your best friend is what it seems

So I’ll try and dissect your words

Through my mind, if remembered they may reverb


You don’t want anything to do with being a couple

That solid statement’s forward, that’s not too subtle

You thought about counselling, decided too tired

You worked through options, except the lad I sired


You want for him to have a full parenting picture

You think it’s weak, not strong, to let me, let him be

You say; If we don’t have some contact with our boy

We’ll lose what matters, and then there’ll be no joy


So what does it mean exactly; best friend status

Do we progress, or second-guess our own hiatus

I felt clearer, although the cost was dearer

When we parted, not started, getting nearer


I can live with the parting glimpses of anger

Recollecting and putting blame, lapsing into languor

I think it is best, to not, not vocalise my thoughts

They may be off beam, for I am, I am out of sorts


Yet I don’t want to look forward, too many days away

Thinking friendship means love, with a body sway

I don’t want to waste any more years thinking it’s OK

No real understanding, not to understand as we say


When clearly it’s not so, for instance do you know

How you intend to befriend, or turn to love or no

If we don’t find out shortly, no use to pretend

Our loving, our friendship will both come to an end


No cards, no notes no late night conversation

It’s a funny kind of friendship without communication

There is no time left anywhere for making love

We do things that lovers aren’t ever dreamt to do