Pages

Thursday 9 May 2019

Times And Places

Feet flat, on the carpeted floor
Breathe in, breathe out
Headphones on, listening to Making Change Easy
Back straight, firm against the wooden chair

Across the valley, a rising bank of trees
Much the same view as from that basement room
In the Kenn (Exeter) Farmhouse B&B in 2010
Except today I am at a top floor window

Which does nothing for my fear of heights
In 2010 I wrote of 2004
Due  to my geographic proximities
Today I am here to refine a collection of 2004

Feet flat, on the carpeted floor
My book, Gregory Poems 1985-86 are beside me
Was that when my writing, or my poetry began
If so, then what made me turn to the verse

Yes, I had bought and read, John Lennon’s book
In His Own Write, which was a present
For my older brothers twenty-first birthday in 1964
When we lived in The Crown Inn, Birdsedge

I was still at school, though often playing truant
Especially from English, and French; but not
For too too much longer; I left to learn a trade
To become an Electrical Engineer, not a writer



















Happenstance in Heptonstall
Poems Started at Lumb Bank
Arvon 2018