Pages

Friday 10 May 2019

Objects And Places

The Gregory Poems 1985-1986 came out in 1987
Which could also have been the year
That I went to the University of Sussex
For an OU summer school in Cognitive Psychology

I was an engineer, my previous studies reflect that
Now I had chosen something altogether different
I took the book with me, as a defence mechanism
Along with my Peter Stuyvesant kingsize cigarettes

I remember the trip to Sark, also to York
But were they both in the same year
If so what year was that
How else to place a stake in the ground

There is a structure of sorts down in the woods
There was a structure of sorts up in the woods
Where children played, where children
With imaginary friends, lived their imaginary lives

There is a tree, and a field, at the top of this hill
There was a tree, and a field, at the top of that hill
A place to walk to, to take a breath
A place to smoke our Silk Cut filter tip cigarettes























Happenstance in Heptonstall
Poems Started at Lumb Bank
Arvon 2018