Pages

Sunday 10 March 2013

Shades of Being

Two orange-red shadows
Light the wall opposite my bed
Happy to watch their slow movement
I feel warm under the covers
To keep this peace a little longer
I press the alarm to snooze

All over the country
All over the world
Thousands and millions of you
Will copy me
You too may be among the lucky ones
Those whose sleep was sufficient

To allow you to turn to snooze
Later, after a revitalising shower
I read a few pages of Pessoa
His Book of Disquiet
More positive than yesterday
He talks of the sunlight in his life also

That recently I was loved, and praised
Is worthy of mention
After those sad days
When I lived on bread alone
It shows to me the immense power
Of the indecipherable


From the Collection One Crow to a Tree - Love in Separate Houses available from Lulu