Pages

Saturday 25 August 2012

Are we there yet


I smile from further away now
A half smile at that, to myself

O wondrous sky
Great gap in the rainclouds
Mercy be for your starlit clarity

She was the first (woman for my poetry)
First for my chase
First for the imperfect haste

First to find a place
For my shameless words
For my tastebuds to muzzle

The writing itself didn’t much matter
What mattered was that I was writing
Writing to win the love of one woman

Only later (listen to Joe Strummer)
The writing itself then mattered
Thus scattered we moved in turn to part

The writing then mattered
Cliches lowered, she broke my heart
Closed all the doors and started to start

The writing then mattered, pitter patter
Words mattered as musk moved deeper to dusk
Nattered was I, that it came so far into the dark


A poem from Nameless Places and Hospital Gowns - Love Cared for by Relate available from iTunes and Amazon