Pages

Wednesday 29 August 2012

All Dressed Up


I have a job, in a shop in Leeds
I don’t know how, there is no back story
It would once have been a gentleman’s outfitter

Nowadays we sell expensive branded attire
To those fanciful county & city sets
Men, and their lady friends, with ample wallets

Two shops, close by to each other
No sooner had I been introduced to the main store
Than I was moved out to the two-tone satellite

I was introduced to the staff
Arranged how we could share lifts
Talked of where we could get a good breakfast

It turns out
That most of the clothes are not sold in store
But are punted

Unmercifully, at society do’s
Charity balls, Yorkshire’s horse racing days and
Whatever is Leeds equivalent of a Night at the Opera

I am nervous
I feel out of place
I don’t know why I am here

I do though like the merchandise
& a significant part of my arrogant self says
“Yes, this stuff wouldn’t half damned suit me”



A poem from Nameless Places and Hospital Gowns - Love Cared for by Relate available from iTunes and Amazon