Pages

Thursday 8 February 2024

Yorkshire Water, Devon beach

The soft sand settles slow

Underfoot into the footprints

Into the so so many steps


If I’ve shifted the drifts of snow

By the reservoir, there apart

Departed from almost everyone I know


A snowman, with a smile

And a tuft of dry grass hair

Dare I to recreate, to rebuild


If to be lost for a while

Was the cost to be borne

If atop the vast panorama

Dostoevsky’s style was worn


Meanwhile, here in the rain

Past stains remain in my environment

Ingrained, learned, deeper than conviction

Cooler than the gallows


This feel, at one at a distance

A rough touch, the gentleness deserted

Indebted


Unknown now they walk

So so often

Since once again we’ve parted


I would have nestled

The round

And weathered boulder


Slung loose aside my cap

Fastened secure

Hung down or sat upon my shoulder



Available on Amazon