Pages

Friday 23 February 2024

Schoolmaster or Engineer

A well pressed suit, oh Lord

Close cropped slicked back hair

A bicycle with trouser clips

Memories of service in the Second World War


I thought I saw you today in Lincolnshire

For certain, but a while ago, for the both of us

I also saw you heading for the Post Office

In deepest Devon


Your wife I will now surmise

Passed this way backalong

Dusted off her apron, polished the dresser

And shone the grandchild’s shoes


The Maserati and Isuzu Impreza

Roar on by with the throttles to the floor

Passed the stockings and the trousers

Faster than the well groomed hair


I’m not a working man

Nor are the rest of them

I think that one day I can

Then I hear the news


The bicycles of Tiananmen Square

The flashing flesh of youth

I wondered

If, oh no Lord, were you there?



Available on Amazon