Pages

Wednesday 19 April 2023

Exploration :: Simple Form

I can hear the birdsong

This very morning I heard the dawn chorus

I do not know the names of many birds

Yesterday in the park, by the lake

Was it a Kingfisher?

Half hidden, chirping on the branch


Was it a Budgerigar in Richmond Park

I walk happily beside the trees

Talk of them being in and out of leaf

Although to tell the Silver Birch

From the Aspen don’t ask me

Nor to name all the species in the hedgerow


In the shoe shop; leather, bonded to the

diamond effect skin of a stingray

In the chemist's museum, a remnant from the

Great Barrier Reef, both explained after we

asked the simple question; what is it


We had a choice of twenty-seven beers

After no more than a few samples

We found one to our liking

Then passed on its name, to those friendly folk

From Ireland and Australia