Pages

Friday 3 March 2023

Ring Back

I would not have worried you

Had the telephone not rung

Liz on the line, from Lincolnshire Life


Actually what I say is not entirely true

For I had thought of you earlier

When writing of self-help books


Samuel Smiles Self Help in particular

Purchased in the Antiquarian Bookshop

One Saturday morning in St Helier


That I have ever been in need of self-help

Is self-evident from this morning’s writings

First in my Morning Words, now in my poetry


How my path then has followed paths of guidance

Even our first meeting, often thought to be happenstance

Was led to, by my thinking of my own self-help study


First to become a chartered engineer 

Which turned into a search for a self-actualised man

In turn to be fuelled, or felled, by psychology, by love


I answered the phone, thinking that it might be

In response to my scan results; perhaps a date

A date for consultation, a date for operation