Pages

Wednesday 24 November 2021

Outward Bound

It is eighty miles, just about

To Dersingham

A steady Sunday afternoon drive

Check-in is from four PM


Boston, unusually

Is quiet and easily navigated

There appears to be little or no

Police presence thus far


I think to shop at Sainsbury’s Kings Lynn

But change my mind, no, not today

Instead to press on; turn up the stereo

I pull into Lavender Barn at four-fifteen


Apparently, so my host tells me

We are on the flight path of the pink-footed geese

Also close by there is the Sandringham Estate

Although it was closed last time I called


Now that the courtesies

And the bonhomie are over

I can make a pot of tea

Then run a bath


For one must be adequately prepared

If one is to write productively

And that is the intention

For these few days in Norfolk