Pages

Tuesday 9 July 2019

Don't Talk About Those You Don't Know About

This is seriously unusual
To talk to you of a Sunday lunchtime
When the sun is high and when the sky is blue
When I'm on my way to watch Sheffield Wednesday

I'm staying at my brother Leslie's tonight
Then tomorrow it's up to County Durham for the day job
Though I may well call in
At Yorkshire Sculpture Park along the way

And you, yes, already you see, you are in on the itinerary
How couldn't you be
How could I drive all this way without you
Without talking to you, for you, about you

It is a different light at lunchtime
Different to that early morning start of the days light
My eyes, my mind, they now see with a clearer sight
In the words of Jason Isbell: Those were different days

The coincidence of all coincidences
I spoke on the telephone with a lady from Jersey
Indeed a lady called Wendy if you could believe me
I don't know if you know her

She has some connection, via her family to the bailiff
But I don't know the details; maybe you do know her
Maybe you don’t, it's too far back for me to remember
To try to recall all of the everything that you ever told me


Available from Amazon