Pages

Tuesday 12 January 2016

Chemistry

We were on a factory visit, a place also with a university. I was with colleagues from an old employer. The bus, yes we were a bus-full, the bus dropped off the first tranche of visitors by the glass domed building, the one with underground laboratories.

I also got off there but quickly left the group, isolated myself, and headed for the old, quintessential, stone-built university.

I climbed the wide stairs, sat on a bench and took off my shoes. I put the shoes down on the floor by the door to a long long passageway.

I was quickly and forcibly told by a sour old lady on the reception desk that I couldn't leave my shoes there.

I moved them to the other side of the door, then a uniformed security guard said I couldn't leave them there either. I left them there anyway.

When I got back the shoes had gone; I looked all over for them, but I didn't ask the grumpy old lady on the desk, or the smug security guard.

It seemed I would have had to get on the bus in my stocking feet, except for the fact, that the bus had also gone.


Available on Kindle