Pages

Saturday 25 May 2024

More frightened still to ask

I am writing this in Kos

With you it would have been…

For me now it is time with Andrew

And a little time with me


I don’t know what you’re feeling

I’m scared now to ask

I’m frightened to see a closure

More frightened still to ask


Far away warm feelings are easy

Blanking out bad times

Is not too too difficult a task

It’s not dealing with reality


It’s living in the past

But I do want to say

Some things for clarity

Things past you that I’d like to pass


My poetry and my reading

Gratitude to you for that and more

The list of introductions is endless

You’ve learnt me all and evermore


The paintings and the painting

The galleries and the exhibitions

You bought me pastels, paints and board

You showed me shade and depth without derision


You may think I already knew sculpture

True I had visited Leeds, to see serene old Mr Moore

But you opened up the vista

Showing you, opened up, opened up my view


Then there’s education

I guess that’s where we met

You sometimes unkindly scoffed at my methods

By example you led, standards to aspire to you set


On this last night, I’m writing this in Kos

The flights delayed, we’re losing waste less days

Now I know, or think I do, what it was like for you

In your horror of Fuerteventura


I didn’t know then what you were feeling

I had forgotten, become so rotten

I had forgotten

Forgotten how to ask