Pages

Sunday 26 May 2024

Joris-Karl Huysmans (1848-1907)

This is a strange old time to write

Gone well past midnight

Waiting for the early morning late night flight


There’s drinks and smokes

And artichokes for the well at heel

For me the writing hours is how I steal


I’ve read Mr Bukowski

And the Hippocrates oath

They’ve both travelled well, truth to tell


But this new book I’ve bought, I was caught

By the slip notes and the cover

Huysmans’ ‘A Rebours’ boy that’s something other


His worldly ways are leading me, kneading me

I’ll start with Edgar Allen Poe, or Paul Verlaine

Then on to Flaubert and Baudelaire


Oh he’s stolen my every picture

As he passed this way

Before he passed away


But Joris Karl Huysmans he has not gone

No not gone

Only gone and put me in the clear