Pages

Saturday 17 January 2015

The long and the short of a part of my life Volume 1 Page 5

Shall I walk also
Return, to sit and talk
And laugh just as he did

Not easy to know where to start & if I do not know where to start then where should I enquire? What should I let be the forces to take me? It seems the big question always hangs about, there but not talked of; no venture to challenge, instead I settle for an I that enjoys breath and beauty. Yet is this sufficient, are there purposes to this life still to be explored, if so what tools should I gather, to gain the certainty of discovery.

Arthur cut up his bread
Weighed it, before and after the spread of butter
Taught me how to drink eggs - though I cannot do it now
A small man, five foot four at the most
Always clean shaven, thin grey hair neatly brushed
Often he wore a knee length, fawn raincoat
On top of a good, but old, bespoke tailor-made suit
His photograph, taken at Lands End stood by the signpost
That shows all the places that he and Elsie might have gone

We made each other laugh, I thought he had subtle humour, I was brash. More than humour we both had a desire for learning; Arthur Kaye told me of his going to management college, to learn business skills, because the factory owners son wasn't up to it. I told him about Nikola Tesla and Michael Faraday, from my world of Electrical Engineering. Even then, thirty years ago I recognised in my grandfather a sense of calm and assurance that I continue to seek. Yet in his final days he became angst and angry, angry with the whole world; I was completely confused, some days I still am.

I have the energy to make her laugh
Though I doubt that to be uncommon
Equally I have the power, or reserve, to wish I had not gone a step too far
It is it seems, always about knowing where to start, where to end
Yes I do have untrammelled enthusiasm
Ability to become engrossed, carried away
Without thinking to understand about the serious implications of the detail
That will undoubtably follow. That is the hub of it
Laughter
Love



free on soundcloud
free on ibooks
free on youtube