Pages

Thursday 25 April 2013

Rain for the refreshment of love

There is a song at the waters edge
There are pebbles on vacant sands
There are swirls where the streams of water head towards the sea
There are people, why wouldn't there be

The beauty of this beach idyll is then all but beaten out of me, by Kate's insistence that we carry on walking in the rain, towards a small dwelling, with four windows and a door

I go along with the daftness for a while, but finally insist on returning to the hotel

Kate walks to my left side, taking shelter from the persistent rain; my right side becomes soddened

At the cross roads we turn right, now we walk directly into the wind, and the slanting rain

Kate takes shelter, she walks, just short of a rainfalls depth, behind me; my front becomes entirely soddened

A calm emerges, clear light ahead

There are songs in my head
There are stones for my feet to kick

There are puddles
Ideal for children like me and Kate to skip and splash in

There are people
Why wouldn't there be


from The Hebrides - Water and Stone
Christopher's Poetry collections can be found on iTunes and on kindle by clicking the highlighted links