Pages

Friday 24 November 2023

Happenstance

I stroke the hair behind my ears

The sun shines, a soft breeze blows

Cheerful dance music from the stereo speakers

Umpteen trees, each with an unknown name

Each with their own intricate rhythm


I take a moment, then a moment longer

Just to watch them, just to feel the breeze

I know this is the place, with pencil and paper

This space is where I want to be blowing

Growing and glowing to please you


And the spider on my notebook

Who is lost, unable to find any cobwebs

A blue sky, with a few light clouds

No heaviness there, or anywhere that I imagine

The tree above has buds, the shape of roses


Green overlapped oval enclosures

A very industrial word

From my industrial though not industrious past

Would it help your picture if I gave you a name

Oak, or beech, or apricot, or fig


Would that give you a richer image to embroider

Or is it infinitely of more value for you

Entirely to use your own imagination

I have no view; either way you will most likely

Take a path preordained by other forces


All I know is that when I stroked my hair

When I wrote these words in the sunlight

I marvelled at life's creation, a gift given my sight

My ears hear the birdsong; the chaffinch or curlew

Even to think of a swooping heron, on open water



Available on Amazon