Pages

Wednesday 6 July 2022

Manifesto

I walked along the cart track

Above and beside the potato field

I walked from the cottage

Behind the manor house at Mon Plaisir


Beauty may be in what you write

Or beauty may be in

What you think about, as you write

Beauty then is in your soul already


I walked into the farm-shop yard

Chatted to the workers and fellow shoppers

I ordered fresh vegetables, to be picked up later

Potatoes, carrots, peas and broccoli were packed


Taste may be imagined by the way that you write

Or taste may be in the growing and preparing

Yes taste caught by cooking and devouring

Taste then is in your soul already.


I walked down the hill to the Esplanade Road.

Then on, past the Catholic Church

To the newsagents & tobacconist, where

I bought a pack of filter-tipped, low-tar cigarettes


The faith may be in the words you write, whether

Or not you believe the smoke and mirrors

As you rub your fingers over the icon stonework

Faith then is in your soul already