Pages

Saturday 1 January 2022

Observatories

From Scorpio to Aquarius
Among the planets, among the stars
Talk of the multifarious
To banish the witness, to spare the scars

The PGS physics class
Never did go to Jodrell Bank
And on that one visit to Kelly College
The giant telescope was out of bounds

This then is almost to the limit
Of my knowledge of astronomy, or astrology
Except for Bridget Riley’s poem The Planets
Which I recorded live at Emerson College

I have looked out at the moon
I even sang along with The Waterboys song
I saw the crescent, you saw the whole of the moon
Long before our meeting of the signs

Did I though not begin with the zodiac
An altogether more debatable subject matter
Where you can always find the good, or bad stuff
If your thought processes are sufficiently flexible