Pages

Sunday 21 March 2021

What In Truth You Never Stole

You sing
Another tune to me
Through years of carers work
You’ve built around immunity

I am
Outside the you of me
After years of tyre tread to work
I’ve replaced me in the community

Credit a last line of mine
You have given me my soul
Given me my time
Given, what in truth you never stole

Perhaps money, or favoured possessions
On occasion others of apparent doubt
And distance too, so far from my pension
But with a voice I will work that out

So what is left for you
Where do you seek your surety
Your space so full of reason
Where do you go for your purity

With your cancer cross
With your poverty band
With your counsellor's hat
With your helper’s hand

Now I see it is not me
That’s trapped at all
Despite
My lack of confidence

Compared
To your lost romance
No, it is not mine
That tap on Duchamp’s wall