Pages

Monday 1 June 2020

Developments

There is an independent pleasure
To drinking iced carbonated water
In a public house full of drinkers
Of stronger ales and spirits

Not to be supercilious I might add
But for the goodness of one’s health
Keen to work out how to remember
The detailed memories of the night before

That I can maintain the non-indulgence
For days, and weeks, and months
Says something of my spirited make up
Also my fear of an accelerated decline

And so today I shaved off my facial hair
Which, for sure, did make me look older
Now I sit, in the high bright sunlight
As the young man I once was might have done

That I did this in my own time, at my discretion
May say something accurate, or articulate
About a somewhat obstinate, stubborn being
Which nature and nurture have gifted to me


Available at Amazon

Christopher's Website
for his Collected Works