Pages

Thursday 8 December 2016

Construction Workings

I built up a new life after the old one fell apart
This is how it went, the rebuilding that is
For you know well enough already

How things fall apart
I ran away
I've done it once or twice before

I took a flat
It was vacant because it hadn't worked out
For the owners son and girlfriend

My son joined me, it didn't last long
We were running away for different reasons
We were running in opposite directions

I gave up my job, explained the heartbreak to my boss
He was sympathetic and understanding
He it seems has also been to this place of desperation

I left the flat; where I feel I have to tell you
I had ritual burnings of love letters
I also put my entire CD collection on to computer

I went to university
To study creative writing
I took a residential room in the students dormitories

I wrote, I wrote, I wrote
I was present and involved at each and every lecture
I read, I read, I read; all manner of words infused me

I drank, I smoked, I went to music concerts
I saw a play about Sassoon and Owen
It was performed  in the Imperial War Museum, Salford

I visited art galleries, I laid out on the frozen grass
I joined The Guardian's Soulmates programme
An internet dating site, where I met the lovely Kate

One day I received a letter, slid under my door
It had inside a home-made CD
A collection of Kate's favourite music

It was a wonderful surprise
We started talking on the telephone
And made a date, to see The Roches in Sheffield

Kate joined me for our passing out poetry performance
Afterwards we sat by a stream, under a stone-arched bridge
Kate washed blueberries in the crystal clear water

This was in the afternoon
Before going to a fairly inebriated party
At Michael and Angela's house in the country

All of that was ten years ago; a new life begun in earnest


Available for Kindle - Click Here