Pages

Monday 5 May 2014

I could say her conversation was inane

Early start
Yet much later than the sunrise
Looking at a picture
Of a bridge over a canal
It could be that Turner stayed here
Though on reflection I don't think so
I believe he was painting in Chichester

This is Chelmsford, with a cheerful oriental waitress
I could say her conversation was inane; but
What good would that do for anyone, least of all me

If I had more than my ambition
The jazz singer sings
Yet without any ambition
Isn't my day going to drag
Although the breakfast is good
& I might have the same tomorrow

There then, that's a thing to aim for
To smile, be jovial (on the surface)
Irrespective of the slow tides that ebb within


This is a poem from Vagaries:
Love of The Key to Room 149
Available as ebook from Kindle
or as a homemade print book and audio cd from  poetryshop