Pages

Friday 4 April 2014

Sexton’s Beast

You gave me something to chase
You bore our child, from a cottage
With a lane down to the sea

If sex is the physical, thank fuck
That we fucked
Yet it’s still the residual that holds me

Unfolds my weaknesses by the shore
Ever to the open door, deploring
My absent moods, how I did brood

The interlude wasn’t seen, a mean
Head for the silver screen, lay back
& be led; be led, let it be said

You gave me something to chase
Your roar along the promenade
A race with indiscriminate pleas

If lust is the miracle, good luck
That we looked
Yet it’s still the indivisible that holds me

Withholds my meekness evermore
Never to restore, scoring
My reticent grooves; how I moved

The certitude isn’t clean, a dream
Stead for the sepia sheen, stay back
That I may be led; be led, let it be said



A poem written after reading Anne Sexton’s poem The Beast


This is a poem from Vagaries:
Love of The Key to Room 149
Available as ebook from Kindle
or as a homemade print book and audio cd from  poetryshop