Pages

Monday 1 July 2024

Gave, given

I gave up all I had

I almost gave up alcohol

I gave up friends and family

I almost gave up rock and roll


I gave up any expectation

I almost gave up sexual strolls

I gave up dare and doing

I almost gave up blues and soul


I gave up thought and conversation

I almost gave up waves that rise and fall

I gave up more than this and all

The day my love you stole


You have given up on friendly pretending

You almost had me sold

You have given up on futures intending

You almost turned me cold


You have given up on dreams extending

You almost cast me in your mould

You have given up on pleasures lending

You almost dried my love juice, up there in the fold


You have given up on letters sending

You almost stole the words I’ve scrawled

You have given up more than this and all

The day our love wasted, haste turned new to old