Pages

Saturday 16 December 2023

From crooked spires to ordinary people

Picture frames rearranged needlessly

Need they be

Stains and strains came and went it seems to me

Beleagueredly


All I gave him was a chance for conversation

To talk about his past

To talk about his life as a boy

As a boy becoming a young man


All I gave him was refuge, respite

From a day on the drink

From a day in the baking sunlight

An old man undone, without aim, hopeless


Corner stones, signposts, a simple conversation

Except that once, sat by Oliver Reed

Who were the other two, his partners in crime

Lee Marvin…Charles Bronson…I can't remember


I loved it down the pit

Never let you struggle, always an helping hand

Could have made it as a football professional

Always the captain; school, boys club, the county


Where he died, all the drinks of that day

Of the heart attack; commemorated

Every time it was my turn to buy

He put his hand in his pocket, on his tab today


We're going now, me and the lad

I'll shake your hand; it's been nice talking to you

Your girl, she enjoys herself

Believe me, you ought to



Available on Amazon