Pages

Tuesday 13 September 2022

Sojourn

I had not expected

To see so much hawthorn

Or for it to grow so very tall

But I suppose it is alongside the river


Elsewhere the ground is bone dry

Harder than a rolled cricket wicket

With all the cracks of five days play

Battered by bat and ball, by players and weather


The willow clones

Are cloned everywhere

Their fresh shoots shooting skyward

With the freedom of gay abandon


A slow train. disappears

Beyond an horizon of yet more hawthorn

I expect that it is heading

For the parkway station


Once again I am playing truant

On this occasion from None

Which, once upon a time

I thought meant no service


How wrong could I be

How many times, so so many times

Have I let wrong lead me on

Yet here I am, alive, and writing 


Available on Amazon