Pages

Saturday 23 April 2022

Weightless

Remember watching

That 66 Wimbledon final
Then rushing on to the local court to play
And after watching the 66 world cup final

At the home of football
Then running to the nearest park

To score the winning goal
Remember Lords, cricket

Sunshine summer wherewithal
Inspired immediately to place

Willow bat on corky ball
Then there’s that Laurence Llewellyn
Encouraging us all

To change our living rooms
However, on this occasion, rather
It was the poem of Raymond Carver
Betjeman, Browning and WH Auden
Visions, poems

Words sympathetically spoken
Of love and life, of love and loss
Emotion, pain, pleasure, candy floss
Sweetness to soften the blow
Without the worry of the sugar
Without the weight of the thought
I've let myself be immersed, I am enthused
I'm on the pitch, I write to you

Are you… confused