Pages

Saturday 31 March 2018

matthopper.net

I saw a pen and ink sketch
Of William Burroughs
It was in a pop-up art exhibition
In Hull’s old fruit market

I looked at the sketch several times
But there and then I did not buy it
Yet, next day, back at home
The image was still on my mind

I found a likeness online
A photograph in the Guardian magazine
Fronting an article about the aforesaid Mr Burroughs
Addictions; I thought this to be the base for the sketch

Further investigation turned up Matt Hopper’s page
On Etsy; the print was for sale, I made the purchase
A well-wrapped parcel arrived in a couple of days
Along with the sketch a card with a website address

I followed the trail, to find a well-worded artist
Who had lived a long time alone, perhaps too long
On a council estate with historic roots; sometimes
You see, you do get way more than you bargained for


Available from Amazon