Pages

Tuesday 3 October 2017

36

I drive into the mist
The trees, bare of leaf, float trunkless
Lyle Lovett's music bares my lustful mind
I have, I feel, the touch of thigh on thigh
All of that time of life saddled in one momentous rush
That I shouldn't have wanted to say anything more
All of the lusciousness already self-fulfilling the score
But believe me he says
Slowly opening the ever open door
Out there, laid out in the starlights of nature
The true lovers are sharing the floor
I have, I feel, the touch of skin on skin
All of that time, of the time of our life
Grappled in one momentous crush
Hands under warm armpits, hands over warm breasts
If ever you would wonder, you would wonder the rest
Clothes straddled the floor, beauty banging my chest
Lost lovers loving in the afternoon, whatever's next

I drive into the light
The sky, scared of clouds, floats weightless
Eva Cassidy's music scares me, for you
For you and your less than trustful kind



Available from Amazon