Pages

Saturday 2 November 2013

Surround

Might I become part of this room
As settled as the cobwebs in its hallway
As much of the fabric as Neruda’s books on love
Or the songs of Norah Jones on the stereo

Might the flames of the fire flicker as I hold my breath
As warm as your comforting conversations
As joyous as that night of red wine and dancing
Or the studied view of the girl with pearl earring

Might the clock that doesn’t tick count down my hours
As regular as the morning light through the window
As repetitive as the flowers on the floral curtains
Or the words on the mantelpiece’s greeting cards

Might the ceiling and the alcoves be rectangular for a purpose
As if the straight lines should offer some guidance
As if the lack of symmetry should play its own joke
Or be a template for the chair and leather settee

Might rearranged bookshelves match my own sense of tidiness
As I remember to vacuum the carpet & polish the table
As I dust the perspex where once there was a long playing record
Where we used a industrial cleaning machine after the riotous party

Might the boxes of CDs be sorted and filed at random
As I scatter my own thoughts onto their echoes
As I am returned, to monasteries and dance-halls
Whispered to by the poets of your land & of Ireland

Cut It - Love of Perfumed Grains of Dust
Christopher's Poetry collections can be found on iTunes and on Kindle by clicking the highlighted links