Pages

Monday 22 July 2013

Status Quo

I sat behind you in the Royal Concert Hall

Your hair, cut in a bob
Silky and shiny, precisely neat
Your square cut glasses well chosen
In sympathy with your angular bone structure

As the night went on I realised
Your face had grown longer
Your tendency to scowl
Had become much more frequent

I wondered if the older man 
Sat beside you was a new partner
I didn't see any gestures of tenderness
No hands held or arms round the shoulder

Earlier we had eaten oysters in lime
Washed down with a dry white wine
We were a party of four; two couples
Each comfortable, in their own skins

When the concert was over you left first
Not surprisingly we went our separate ways
We did not speak
I doubt that you saw me, or even felt my presence

I did though notice
That you quickly took back the silk scarf
That your man-friend
Had playfully wrapped around his torso


from 
Parting Shots - Love Of The Status Quo

Christopher's Poetry collections can be found on iTunes and on Kindle by clicking the highlighted links