Pages

Monday 30 January 2012

Watercombe Revisited


Today I am revisiting (in my mind)
Just for you, o yes and just for me

I came alone to this place
Almost twenty-three months ago
Then, as now, the sky was blue
The river tumbled, the water splashed

Like a poet planted
Some time before the snow
Blue, blue, big blue Friday afternoon
Beside the lonely only one, the River Erme

In between the then, and the now
My own turbulence was maintained
Turbulent mind, turbulent body
Turbulent health, turbulent wealth

From first landing to final leaving
Things were always fluid and rolling
My head full of love, my body tired or alive
I was ill, I was well, I was poor, I was paid

Sheep graze these windswept moors
Lambs are born in driving rain
Alongside the gorse and the reeds
The crop cut grass pleads to grow

Those crazy beasts keep on mowing
There love-stock dropped and fawned
On the moor it’s rough yet it’s ready
Why ever should we misconceive

Echoed bleats break the cold
Waterfalls of springtime silence
Alone amongst a thousand acres
I chase another mother of nature

No more whinges or whines
Springtime springs once again
In a world beyond the shoulder
If we believe in her, she can give