Pages

Sunday 30 January 2011

Space for the reader to wander through

A pleasure shared gives the pleasure of time to ones soul

In my talk on In Search of Beauty I wanted to let the Phoenix Writers know about the poet Thomas A Clark. I played them Track 9 from the album I send you this Cadmium Red by John Berger and John Christie with music by Gavin Bryars. The audio interlude gave me time. The same sort of time that I had taken earlier in the week, on the shingle at Dungeness, where I saw Derek Jarman's Prospect Cottage with its sidewall poem; a landmark tracked down among the beautiful dereliction. The musical presentation set me thinking. I concluded that what Gavin Bryars had given to the readers/listeners was the time and space to wander through, time to sojourn among the writers/readers words. How then am I now to capture this atmospheric into words alone?